Continuing with the repair from the previous post (Severely Damaged Quilt Repair), now the time consuming part of the repair began – the hand work. Lifting up the edge of the new backing, you can see some of the damage once again.
The new muslin backing is pinned to the edge so I can bring the binding over the edge, at least in those areas where the binding was detached. I re-pinned some areas to make the edge line up with the raw edge of the original quilt. This will allow the loose binding to cover the edge and appear more finished.
I hand stitched the binding back into place over the new muslin.
There was another rip below the new backing, that I initially thought I could repair by hand, but decided this would do better with a muslin patch.
Close up, you can really see the damage.
So I added one more small piece and pinned it to the back, tucking it under the main piece of new muslin.
Along the edge of the quilt where the new backing is now attached, the binding was pulled over the edge and hand stitched. Then I hand sewed the seam between the two new pieces of muslin, and hand whipped the edge of the extra patch down.
All around the quilt, the binding was coming off in even more places, so all of this needed to be restitched.
So, I re-positioned what was left and hand stitched it.
There were also a couple of rips on the top that had to be sewn closed by hand. The tulle is visible here to help stabilize the section where the top fabric is gone.
At the bottom of the quilt, I found another hole.
Repaired with just hand stitching, as this one wasn’t anywhere close to the area with the new muslin. The repair had to be hand stitched on the top too.
And then, yet one more hole, up to now unseen.
Stitched closed, this one didn’t go through all the layers.
Stitching finished, the tulle was trimmed close to the stitching.
On the backside, the top edge now has new muslin backing with stitching in the ditch and some hearts to hold the layers together..
The top side looks a lot better too. But, great care will need to be taken in the future. I gave her a full page of written instructions on how to care for it in the future, and never to wash it in a washing machine again. It is now too delicate to withstand any further abuse.
The bottom end doesn’t look bad at this point, so she can display it on a bed. If she puts it on a bed, and puts pillows over the repaired end, it is pretty usable still.
Sad to see such abuse on such an exquisite, likely very expensive commissioned, queen size, hand quilted treasure. I know I like to see quilts used instead of put into drawers wrapped in tissue paper, but this was a bit beyond that.
The lady said that when she gets it back, it isn’t going back to the daughter. Instead, it will be carefully displayed on her own guest bed from here on. I hope so!! She has two more she is planning to bring, but she assures me they aren’t this bad. This one was a challenge, but so gratifying to bring it back to a usable state. Ready for the next one!
If you have a quilt needing repair, see my page Well Loved Quilt Repair at the top of the blog.