One of the things I really dislike about our home is the hideous mauvey pink color of the countertops and tub surround in the master bathroom. Personally, I don’t think things this expensive to replace should even be available in anything but neutral colors. This color was very dated and old when the bathroom was remodeled in the late 1990s before we purchased the house. It is unfortunately in good enough condition that is doesn’t make economic sense to replace it with the cream color I’d rather have. So, I do my best to make it look more like light burgundy by putting a lot of burgundy accessories in the space – towels, candles, and burgundy in the pictures on the walls. The picture I had over the large tub was one that constantly brought up bad memories because of who I bought it from. Every time I looked at it coming out of the shower it brought up feelings of betrayal and hurt, so it needed to go. But finding a replacement wasn’t easy because of the size. So, when I saw this stunning magnolia at the thrift store, I had to buy it to replace the other one.
I love the picture, and the burgundy background will fit nicely with my decor. But, the gold accent on the frame was not my cup of tea. I am not a fan of metallics, and this wasn’t actually guilded, it was painted. I wanted more burgundy, so I decided to paint it. I set up two sawhorses in the workroom in the basement, and put the picture on them.
I taped off the creamy white part with green painter’s tape to keep it clean.
One corner of the frame accent piece was broken, so I needed to fix that.
I didn’t spend a great deal of time on this part. I used spackle to fill in the hole.
Filling in the space with a putty knife, I let it dry and then added a bit more to make the corner appear the same as the rest of the frame.
I allowed it to dry for a day, then painted the gold part with burgundy wall paint. This is the color of our guest room, so I have a small jar for touch ups.
It didn’t seem dark enough on the frame, so I put a second coat on the next day.
It still wasn’t the color I really wanted, so I mixed up a wash of acrylic paint in a darker shade, adding a bit of black to the burgundy. I brushed that over the top of the other coats which darkened the color and added a bit more depth.
Peeling off the tape, the contrast is really good now, and it picks up the burgundy in the picture well.
Compare that to the original gold accent, and it just looks so much more dramatic with the contrast in value.
Plus, hanging in the bath, it helps tone down the awful countertop and tub surround color. BTW, we’ve used this tub only a handful of times. On the mountain with our well, it takes almost 30 minutes just to fill it with water. Why the previous owners decided to put such a massive thing in the bathroom with our low water pressure is beyond comprehension.
So what did I do with the other picture? Well, I put it out in a garage sale and didn’t get any interest, even when I lowered the price to just $25. The frame and glass was worth that much! Anyway, it didn’t sell, so it went to the basement to await donation. Then I got a re-print of my favorite all time painting, Andrew Wyeth’s Wind from the Sea after the original was donated to a museum for the Looking Out Looking In exhibition. I had this print my college days, and it hung on the wall in our home for a couple of years. My dad badgered me into giving it to him, then his idiot third wife threw it away instead of giving it back to me like I asked him to do if he ever decided not to hang it anymore. I say idiot because that original print is now extremely valuable. I have wanted to replace it for years but it is rare and collectible now, not something I could afford until the re-print was issued. The print without the white edge would fit the frame, so I decided to cut it down and use the frame instead of buying a new one. Careful measuring and cutting, measuring several times to be very sure it was correct, and using a paper designated blade on one of my rotary cutters, I got it cut to size.
I mounted it in the frame, then set the whole thing on the sawhorses, preparing to paint over the silver marbled edge when I noticed that it was bubbling up in a corner. Pulling on it a bit, it was found to be an overlay, not even glued down, and underneath was a really nice creamy white!
So all that had to be done was to carefully pull it off, and use a box cutter to cut the edge where it went under the gold painted accent part of the frame. There is still a tiny edge of silver inside the gold braid, but it doesn’t really draw attention, so I left it there.
I may eventually paint that gold in a soft green to better match the print, but for now it is fine the way it is. It isn’t a metallic gold, so I don’t mind it as much.
It went on the fireplace wall in the dining room for now, but I think I’ll move it to over the bookshelves. When we use the fireplace, the wall above it gets hot as these are ventless gas fireplaces.
One more look at the magnolia.
Have you ever re-worked frames on your artwork?
My blog is a variety of subjects, quilting and sewing, tablescapes and recipes, book reviews and hand stitching, crafting and mountain living. I love to have new followers, too! See the buttons on the sidebar to follow by your favorite method. If you are visiting from Hometalk, Fave Quilts, All Free Sewing, Pinterest, a link up site, or just found me, please stay a bit and have a look around, my tutorials are gathered at the top in pages to make them easy to find. Lots of fun is had here, and I invite you to follow with any of your favorite methods, see the sidebar for ways to follow. My fourth mystery quilt is in progress in 2018, click on Scrap Dance Square Dance on the sidebar for the first post. Click on the Home page to see the latest posts on the blog.
New Project Kits on Sale at Craftsy – Click HERE