It has been an awful week this past week. The death of my cousin is still painful, and to make it worse, it came on the heels of a betrayal of trust from someone I thought was a close friend for the past 15 years. I confided to her a private family problem, as I needed someone to talk to. This so-called ‘friend’ then discussed it in public, making me the subject of conversation in a sewing group meeting, revealing my private situation. She has refused to acknowledge that what she did was wrong, and also refused to apologize, preferring to end our friendship instead. It has been almost too much to bear. But, I have to tell you all, your wonderful words of comfort on my last post, your prayers and thoughts, virtual hugs, cards in the mail, and your personal emails have meant the world to me. I am so very grateful for the outpouring of support as I learn to live with the sorrow of my cousin’s loss.
Sewing has always been my therapy, and working on quilts these past few days has helped. Progress has been made on the quilts our local guild is doing for Safelight. The red and white mountain peaks top quilting was finally finished. I used white thread and a swirly pantograph called Fascination.
The backing is bright with a lot of yellow, and using it for binding didn’t really go well with the top. So I cut binding from a red dot fabric, and sewed it onto the backside first. You can see here that my choice of white thread was a poor one, as it sticks out too much on the backing fabric. I wish I had used red instead, but that would have put a lot of pattern into the white background areas that I thought I didn’t want. Oh well, too late now.
Next, I turned the binding to the top and stitched it down by machine.
Binding finished, and a label was added to the back. I really like this red and cream combination.
All done and ready to donate.
Moving on to the next group of blocks that were sent in by readers, I had a rainbow in mind. Pulling greens, reds, purples and blues, I had enough to do an angled stripe.
I stacked the blocks, and picked up the rows to sew with the web method I showed before.
Sewing in order, I didn’t have to think about placement or worry about getting it right. I knew it would be, and I could let the hum of the sewing machine and the therapy of putting thread into fabric work on my bruised heart.
This goes so fast, it only took me an hour to assemble into the web.
Then the rows were pressed and sewn in a jiffy, now ready to quilt. I need to determine what stash fabric I have for backing and get it loaded on the longarm. I’ll be counting that fabric out in our Stashbuster Challenge, starting on Friday.
So, for now, I’ll take things one day at a time. I have gone back to read all your comments again and again, as they have brought much comfort to me. Thank you all for your support and understanding.