Last month I left a comment on a quilty UFO adoption post on a fellow blogger’s event. Cyndi blogs at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework, and every so often she does a link up event. You post a UFO that you just don’t have the enthusiasm to finish, and then pick a person who comments on it to send it to. She picked my name for her giveaway panel of an adorable puppy.
I got it about a week later, and laid it out over the longarm bar to load and quilt when the one I was working on was done. But that came and another one was loaded for another charity event, and I was still staring at this panel. My enthusiasm for it was waning, it just didn’t speak to me at all. The longer I looked at it, the less I liked it. Finally, I decided to figure out what was wrong with it in my eyes, and fix that. Right away, once I really analyzed the panels components, I decided I really didn’t care for the difficult color in the border. That not quite orange, not really salmon, neon apricot took all the focus away from the puppy. So, first up, get rid of it.
I cut the puppy part out of the center, and also cut the dark navy background into usable sections. I found more fabrics in my stash that I liked a lot better, and used a rust in the same family as that orange to tone it down. Adding the first border, I sewed from the panel side so I could follow the first navy frame on the panel.
Oh, yes, liking this a lot better. This rust, brown and navy print makes a nice frame and tones down the garish salmon in the panel to where you don’t notice it anymore. Now the puppy takes center stage.
Then I added back the original navy bubble print.
I once again used my trick of adding squares around the panel to enlarge it. Using the colors pulled from stash, I cut strips, sewed those together then cross cut for squares.
Laying them out, I again made one or two a tiny bit bigger to cover the gap.
Next row of border completed, plus a final border to get a nice lap size.
Loading it on the longarm, I quilted it with a pantograph that reminded me of soap bubbles.
Bound with the lighter brown, it was ready for delivery. Changing the colors in the borders to more muted tones makes the quilt suitable for either a boy or girl.
I took it to a local rescue group Charley’s Angels. They rescue dogs and cats from local kill shelters. The quilt will be offered at their Bark in the Park auction which will be in May. This is the group that started the incredible program of putting adoptable dogs at a local hotel to interact with guests. They have adopted out an amazing number of dogs this way.
This sweet face was looking for a forever home while I visited.
It is so sad that as a society, we still have so many animals euthanized every year due to having too many to care for. Irresponsible owners who don’t spay or neuter then let their animals wander is a huge problem in western NC, and elsewhere.
We aren’t quite ready to have another dog yet, but when we are, we will look once again to the shelters first. Our last three dogs have come from rescue groups like this one. Yes, sometimes the dogs have issues, but love, patience, and training can usually overcome any problem. Most health issues can be managed, too.
Are you a supporter of your local humane society?
My blog is about a variety of topics, quilting and sewing, crafting and cooking, reading and travel, mountain living and gardening, and more. You can follow my blog in several ways, see the sidebar for email sign up or blog-reader links. I have lots of free patterns for quilters, mystery quilt alongs, holiday quilt alongs, and seasonal events with giveaways. Please follow me for all the fun! New projects coming up!!
Find some cute animal fabrics at Fat Quarter Shop.
(This is an affiliate link. By clicking on the link and making a purchase, I may earn a small commission to help support the costs of my blog. You can use your existing account with Fat Quarter Shop to shop. Thank you for using my link!)