Yes, it is finally done. I actually worked on it through the week before Memorial Day, and was able to get it mounted and hung last weekend. From the beginning, I wanted something to go on the wall that was large, and I also wanted to use a large oval hoop that has been sitting in my sewing room for literally years. Sewing on so many small buttons and elements by hand took a long time, as I just couldn’t sit and work on it for very long at a time.
The hoop is too large for hand work, not that I do any hand quilting anyway, but it didn’t have a stand. In reality, it is useless to me, except as a frame. So, I started the project with the hoop and some sewing motif fabrics. Now that the piece is finished, I used the hoop to measure out some heat activated paper-backed bonding adhesive.
The paper-backed adhesive was ironed onto the art piece.
This is primarily to keep the stitches on the silk ribbon embroidery from getting pulled from the back as well as to hide the mess on the back from all the knots and threads. Peeling the paper off, you can really see the quilting.
Using a similar print in a dark purple, the backing was bonded to the piece with the iron.
Then, I used the hoop to determine where the piece would fit best, and measured out from the edge a few inches all around to allow enough to fit in the hoop and turn inside the back.
I cut the piece in an oval shape along the line I marked in chalk.
Then, I serged the edge to finish it nicely.
I wasn’t bright enough to sew the label on before I bonded the backing, LOL, so I had to do that by hand.
It almost didn’t have enough on the top and bottom, but I stretched it into the hoop.
Pulling the fabric to the backside …
I ironed in creases around the hoop to force the overage fabric to the inside of the hoop.
Hanging on the wall! Working on the buttons and beads took the most time. I finally got enough elements on the project to have a definite comet shape going through the center.
Lots of buttons, ribbon roses, silk ribbon embroidery, lace and trims all put together. Note that most groupings have odd numbers, as this is more pleasing to the eye.
I used those little plastic motifs you get in some button packs that are difficult to use elsewhere.
It now is hanging on the brick wall around the fireplace, along with two of my antique sewing machines, and some other vintage bric-a-brac.
Do you have hoops you don’t use?
In case you didn’t see this notice yesterday, I want to let you all know that I will be taking a break from my normal blogging activities of doing linkups, responding to comments, reading and commenting on other blogs for a couple of weeks. I have some medical tests to do, and 50 hours of continuing education to complete, so I just need to spend some more time on the necessities for a bit instead of on the computer. Don’t worry, you won’t miss me, as I have posts scheduled roughly every other day for the next three weeks, including the Scrap Dance Tango reveal on Friday, June 10 (7:30 am). You’ll see new quilt designs, quilting of Tango and Quickstep, a couple of new recipes along with a garden update and a patriotic tablescape. Please continue to leave comments, I promise I’ll read every one (and will be cheered by them), even if I cannot respond right away. When I resume at the end of the month, I’ll be sharing an exciting event of Christmas in July with some new ideas and several posts on the subject, along with being a stop on the Christmas In July Blog Hop by Confessions of a Fabric Addict. Plus I have another Moda Bake Shop design that will publish in August. So, stay tuned, and enjoy the upcoming posts!
Joining Slow Stitching Sunday for the finish of the Quilted Art Project, my last link up for this month.