My One Monthly Goal for November was only to get the red fabrics ready for cutting, and cut the pieces needed to begin. At the time I made that goal, I had a red mess after washing the fabrics. The color ran like crazy, and after I did the goal, I decided to wash them a second time. With more color run, I thought the best thing would be to put the cutting on hold and order some Retayne.
I got the order mid-month, and reading the label I needed water at 140 degrees, plus I couldn’t use the washer as it is a low water top loader. Our water isn’t set that hot, so I added a dutch oven of boiling water to the half filled mud sink. Then I stirred in the Retayne and added the dry fabrics. I had to use some tongs as the water was too hot for my hands.
I set a timer, and went back to agitate the fabrics around every five minutes for the 20 minute total soak. I kept having to add more water, and thus a bit more stabilizer, because the sink plug wouldn’t hold tight enough and the water kept leaking out.
I rinsed them in cold water, as the label says, and the good news is that the rinse water was clear. Then, I threw them in the washing machine for a spin dry, re-rinse and spin again. Then into the dryer. Out came this mountain of reds, yet again needing pressing.
One big motivation to get this done was using the reds in the current Scrap Dance Waltz quilt along. So, I had to just get busy! This took a better part of a day to get to this point.
After that, the cutting went fairly fast.
I got started on the HSTs then remembered I needed to finish cutting the individual 2-1/2-inch squares, so I got busy again and finished up the cutting.
The main thing is the goal was met. Scrap Dance Waltz continues on Wednesday! Check out the beginning post HERE, you have time to catch up!
Linking up with One Monthly Goal.